Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
Job Duties and Tasks
1) Analyze product failure data and laboratory test results in order to determine causes of problems and develop solutions.
2) Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products in order to ensure their quality.
Design and direct the testing and/or control of processing procedures.
4) Determine appropriate methods for fabricating and joining materials.
5) Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
6) Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration.
7) Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
8) Review new product plans and make recommendations for material selection based on design objectives, such as strength, weight, heat resistance, electrical conductivity, and cost.